TechStars is joining the Partnership for a New American Economy for the March for Innovation (#iMarch), which will bring together leaders from the technology and startup communities in a digital march for smart, comprehensive immigration reform. This includes a new visa for entrepreneurs, additional visas for high-skilled immigrants and permanent residency for graduates in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
Immigration reform is a central issue for the tech and startup communities. Talented entrepreneurs from around the world continue to play key roles in many new companies, and their impact is clear:
- More than 40% of Fortune 500 companies founded by immigrants or their children
- 28% of all companies started in the US in 2011 had immigrant founders
- More than 1/4 of tech companies report having difficulties hiring talent and number of Americans studying in STEM fields grows by less than 1% per year
I hope you'll join the push for immigration reform and get involved with the March for Innovation. You can help by:
- Share the #iMarch with your networks. Click here for some great content you can share with your networks!
- Host an event in your city. The #iMarch will take place on May 22nd and 23rd, and many incubators and accelerators are hosting events that evening. If you're interested, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org who can provide support on planning a discussion, coordinating logistics and connecting with other local partners and resources.